The province’s municipal services staff will play host to officials from the Ministry of Local Government and Regional Development of Guyana during their visit to Nova Scotia today, Nov. 27, to Friday, Dec. 1. “Staff will show Guyana officials how different levels of government come together to deliver top-notch services to Nova Scotians,” said Jamie Muir, Minister of Service Nova Scotia and Municipal Relations. The delegates will job shadow and participate in training programs on relationship building and presentation delivery. They will also visit the municipalities of Halifax, Queens, Shelburne, and Kings, as well as the Town of Wolfville, to learn how the province works with municipalities. Discussions will focus on solid-waste management, bylaw enforcement, financial operations and public works. In January, staff visited Guyana to provide training to the municipal service officers. The training included tips on how to be a successful municipal adviser, developing relationships with various levels of government and offered background information on Nova Scotia. The delegation is part of the Guyana Municipal Governance and Management Program, a joint venture of Guyanese and Canadian municipalities and the governments of Guyana and Canada. The goal of the program is to help Guyana develop sustainable municipalities by fostering good governance and reducing poverty. Project outcomes include municipal leadership and management, municipal services management, participatory governance, policy development and enabling institutions. The Guyana/Nova Scotia partnership was considered a good fit by the Federation of Canadian Municipalities because of a similar population, coastal geography and the reliance of natural resources to fuel the local economy in rural areas. Participants include the Guyanese towns of Georgetown, New Amsterdam, Linden, Corriverton, Anna Regina, Rose Hall, the Guyana Association of Municipalities, the Guyana Ministry of Local Government and Regional Development, Service Nova Scotia and Municipal Relations and the Federation of Canadian Municipalities. The program is funded by the Canadian International Development Agency. For more information, see the Federation of Canadian Municipalities website at www.fcm.ca .
Drivers and cyclists in Nova Scotia will travel more safely thanks to improvements on two of the provinces busiest roadways. Sections of the Cabot Trail and Route 333 between Beechville and Tantallon are undergoing transformations that will allow cyclists and motorists to safely share the road. “This is the first of many steps we are taking to encourage the use of sustainable transportation in our province,” said Murray Scott, Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal. “We are committed to creating safer and more accessible roads for all users.” About 60 kilometres of the Cabot Trail is scheduled for widening over the next few years so that cyclists can safely share the road with motorists. This year’s project, between St. Anns and Cape Smokey, is scheduled to be complete this fall. A section announced last year was completed this summer. Work is also well underway on Route 333, where bike lanes are being installed to accommodate the growing number of cyclists. Route 333 was chosen for the project because of its ability to connect with HRM bike lanes on St. Margarets Bay Road. Peggy’s Cove is also located on the popular roadway, making it particularly busy during the tourist season. The bike lanes will cover 16 kilometres of Route 333 and are expected to be complete this fall. It will cost the department about $65,000 per kilometre to build the lanes using a modified chipseal and recycled asphalt surface. Traditional asphalt bike lanes would cost at least $125,000 per kilometre. The department will monitor and evaluate the performance of the surface used on Route 333 to determine how to proceed with future projects. Providing the projects are successful, the province plans to continue the bike-friendly improvements on both roads until they are complete. The projects are part of several provincial sustainable transportation initiatives, including plans for more car pool parking lots. A policy is being developed on the method of identifying when and where they will be constructed. There are currently 39 car pool parking lots in Nova Scotia. The projects also support Nova Scotia’s Environmental Goals and Sustainable Prosperity Act. Under the act, Nova Scotia has established a target to have one of the cleanest and most sustainable environments in the world by 2020.
Children with chronic illnesses will soon have a place to play, learn and grow, thanks to a $1.65-million investment from the province. The not-for-profit Brigadoon Children’s Camp Society will receive the funds to help build Brigadoon Village, a camp for chronically ill children at Aylesford Lake, Kings Co. The cost of the project is $5 million. Premier Rodney MacDonald made the announcement today, April 25, in Berwick. “This will be an invaluable resource for children and their families facing chronic illness,” said Premier MacDonald. “Creating a safe haven where children can learn, develop and engage in recreation will enhance their lives.” Children will experience a wide range of outdoor camping activities and meet others experiencing similar health challenges. Health-care professionals will also use the facility to research ways to improve the children’s quality of life. “Brigadoon, with its partners, is poised to address a significant need within pediatrics, giving some remarkable young people the chance to explore Nova Scotia’s beauty, outdoor recreation and, most importantly, the potential within themselves,” said Roger Sinclair, chair of Building Brigadoon Capital Campaign Cabinet. “Today’s commitment takes us a huge step closer to giving the children better care, better opportunities and better lives.” Brigadoon is the first facility of its kind in Atlantic Canada. When complete, it will host about 1,000 youth and students each summer. The province’s latest investment comes from its Building Facilities and Infrastructure Together (B-FIT) program. Under B-FIT, the province has committed more than $55 million to 31 major infrastructure projects, generating $165 million in construction. The announcement is part of Nova Scotia’s Building for Growth infrastructure strategy. The program will stimulate the economy by creating a demand for goods and services and creating jobs.
Knowing and responding immediately to the warning signs of stroke can significantly improve the odds of survival and recovery. To help Nova Scotians recognize such potentially life-saving cues, the province, Heart and Stroke Foundation of Nova Scotia, and Cardiovascular Health Nova Scotia — the provincial program responsible for improving care for heart disease and stroke — have partnered on a 16-month awareness campaign. “We are working with our partners to reduce the devastating impact stroke can have on the lives of Nova Scotians,” said Maureen MacDonald, Minister of Health. “Through this campaign and our efforts to improve stroke care, I know many people who suffer a stroke will live longer, more fulfilling lives.” The five warning signs of stroke are weakness, trouble speaking, vision problems, headache and dizziness. “When it comes to a stroke, the faster you can get medical attention, the better,” said Menna MacIsaac, CEO of the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Nova Scotia. “We encourage all Nova Scotians to know the warning signs and call 911 immediately.” A stroke is a sudden loss of brain function caused by the interruption of the flow of blood to the brain or the rupture of blood vessels in the brain. Strokes can hinder the ability to move, see, remember, speak, reason, read and write. A recent poll of Nova Scotia adults 18 and older indicates that 65 per cent of Nova Scotians can name at least two warning signs of stroke. This same poll also showed that two-thirds of Nova Scotians would call 9-1-1 or an ambulance if they, or someone they know, experienced warning signs of stroke. The campaign aims to improve those results. The campaign, funded by the Health Department, is part of a provincial strategy to enhance existing stroke programs and services. Modelled after other successful stroke awareness campaigns, it will include television and print materials that will run from mid-July until November 2010. Someone suffers a stroke every 10 minutes in Canada, making it the third leading cause of mortality in the country, with 14,000 deaths annually. Of the more than 50,000 strokes nationally each year, about 1,500 occur in Nova Scotia. More than half of survivors need help with daily activities. For more information on the warning signs of stroke, visit www.heartandstroke.ns.ca/stroke .
Les personnes qui ne sont pas en mesure d’assister à une rencontre publique peuvent participer en ligne à l’adresse http://ednet.ns.ca/SAreview. Les soumissions par le site Web seront acceptées jusqu’au 8 décembre. Un rapport sera présenté à la ministre de l’Éducation en janvier. Le mardi 16 novembre, Great Hall, salle CE 265, Université Cape Breton, 1250 Grand Lake Road, Sydney Le mercredi 17 novembre, Keating Millennium Centre, salle de conférence A, Université St. Francis Xavier, Varsity Drive, Antigonish Le jeudi 18 novembre, salle 3526, campus Waterfront du Nova Scotia Community College, 80 Mawiomi Place, Dartmouth Le mercredi 24 novembre, salle M2, Nova Scotia Community College, 1575 Lake Road, Shelburne Le jeudi 25 novembre, salle KCIC Acadia Room, Université Acadia, 32, av. University, Wolfville Le lundi 29 novembre, Student Union Building, salle 307, Université Dalhousie, 6136, av. University, Halifax Le mardi 30 novembre, vidéoconférence, Université Sainte-Anne Les étudiants auront bientôt accès à un programme d’aide financière améliorée qui rendra l’éducation postsecondaire plus abordable. Les étudiants, les parents et autres personnes intéressées peuvent soumettre leurs idées sur les façons d’améliorer le programme d’aide aux étudiants lors de l’une de six rencontres publiques ou par l’entremise d’une vidéoconférence en français. Les soumissions peuvent également être effectuées sur le site Web du ministère de l’Éducation. Le premier ministre Darrell Dexter s’est engagé à améliorer l’aide financière aux étudiants plus tôt cet automne. « La Nouvelle-Écosse a l’un des programmes d’aide aux étudiants les plus faibles au pays, a dit Marilyn More, ministre de l’Éducation. Il faut changer cette situation pour permettre à nos jeunes d’avoir les moyens d’obtenir l’éducation dont ils ont besoin pour pouvoir obtenir l’un des bons emplois qui assurent la croissance de notre économie. » Le programme d’aide aux étudiants offre de l’aide financière, sous forme de prêts et de subventions, aux étudiants admissibles qui poursuivent des études postsecondaires. Des prêts d’une valeur de totale de près de 14,4 millions de dollars ont été accordés dans le cadre du programme l’année dernière afin de payer les frais de scolarité et de subsistance. Au total, l’appui financier du gouvernement aux universités a dépassé 446 millions de dollars en 2010-2011. La dette moyenne d’un étudiant à l’obtention de son diplôme est de 30 128 $. « Nous devons utiliser les investissements dans les études postsecondaires de façon judicieuse afin de réduire le niveau d’endettement tout en respectant notre engagement de vivre selon nos moyens, » a dit Mme More. La consultation aidera le gouvernement à engager les intervenants et à cerner des options pour les types d’aide, les subventions et les prêts, le niveau d’aide, les limites d’endettement et d’autres améliorations. L’amélioration de l’aide financière aux étudiants qui en ont le plus besoin est l’une des principales recommandations du rapport de Tim O’Neill sur le système universitaire de la Nouvelle-Écosse. Chaque rencontre se déroulera de 19 h à 21 h et les discussions seront axées uniquement sur le programme d’aide aux étudiants. Les rencontres auront lieux aux endroits suivants :
PICTOU COUNTY: Waterside Shore Road at Waterside general bridge has re-opened to traffic. Local Area Office: 902-485-5254 -30-
I commend the Cape Breton-Victoria Regional School Board for its decision this week to maintain and potentially expand the School Liaison Officer Program to more schools. This is a good decision that will have positive benefits for more students in Cape Breton. I, and my Cape Breton colleagues, value this service and are pleased the Department of Education, the Cape Breton-Victoria board and Cape Breton Regional Police Service have been able to find a solution to preserve the service for another year, while we work together on a longer-term plan. We all agree it is important to have that strong link between local police and our schools. Having a police officer affiliated with a school, or family of schools, offers police and the school community a wonderful opportunity to build strong relationships, promote understanding and awareness, youth mentorship and, as a result, a safer community. The board’s school liaison officer program will now have four officers between the board’s five high schools and a number of their feeder schools. My expectation is that we can adapt to a new model of service that will allow more students at more schools to benefit from the relationship. The province has agreed to continue to cost-share this service for another year. This will allow the board and police time to develop a more efficient and cost-effective service similar to models in other school boards. Police services across Nova Scotia provide a model of where officers visit a number of schools as part of their job, at no cost to boards. While it is important to have strong links with police, I think it is also essential that everyone understand that our schools are already very safe and welcoming places for students, parents and staff. -30-
Il est interdit de faire des feux de plein air à l’échelle de la province à compter d’aujourd’hui, 12 juillet. « Le temps chaud et sec a entraîné l’augmentation de l’indice de danger de feu au niveau élevé ou extrême partout dans la province, a dit Jim Rudderham, superviseur de la gestion des feux de forêt au ministère des Ressources naturelles. L’interdiction des feux de plein air réduit le risque de feux de forêt et les dommages potentiels aux maisons et aux biens. » L’interdiction de feux de plein air sera maintenue jusqu’à nouvel ordre. Des pluies abondantes seront nécessaires avant de lever l’interdiction. Il est donc interdit de faire des feux de plein air à moins de 305 mètres (1 000 pieds) d’une région boisée, y compris dans des appareils tels que les foyers extérieurs. Les municipalités peuvent imposer des restrictions supplémentaires sur les feux de plein air. Pour lire des questions et réponses à ce sujet, consultez le www.gov.ns.ca/natr/forestprotection/wildfire/burning-ban.asp (en anglais seulement).
Hundreds gathered for a special send off for the Nova Scotia Tree for Boston, and enjoyed musical performances by Dave Gunning and the Nova Scotia Mass Choir, today, Nov. 18, in Halifax’s Grand Parade. Each year, Nova Scotia sends a Christmas tree to the people of Boston to say thank you for their help in the aftermath of the Halifax Explosion in 1917. This year’s tree is a 15-metre (49-feet), 72-year-old white spruce from Bill and Andrea MacEachern of Lorne, Pictou Co. “Every year, a Nova Scotia family, like the MacEacherns, comes forward and offers to keep this tradition going, in the spirit of friendship,” said Premier Stephen McNeil. “I experienced the gratitude of the people in Boston last year when I had the honour of representing Nova Scotia at the tree lighting, and tens of thousands of people gathered to see our tree lit.” The tree made its way through Halifax today via Halifax Police and Fire escort and stopped at St. Stephen’s Elementary School, which became pen pals with Mather Elementary school in Boston to learn more about the tree tradition. “Boston’s residents treasure our long-lasting bond with the people of Nova Scotia,” said Martin J. Walsh, Mayor of Boston. “The arrival of the tree is a sign that the holidays are upon us and the goodwill we showed toward our friends to the north in 1917 has been appreciated and returned year after year.” The tradition inspired a song called We Will See You Through, composed by Mark Despault of Digby, Tom Leighton of Moncton and Suzanne Pasternak, a former Massachusetts resident, who was at the ceremony for its first performance today. “This annual tradition is a stellar example of both international relations and one of the finest models of hope and courage born from the most tragic events in Canadian history,” said Ms. Pasternak. “It is a great honour for me to be the representative from the writing team at such an important, heartfelt event.” The tree is now en route to Boston on a Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal flatbed truck. It will stop at the Rath Eastlink Community Centre in Truro and in Victoria Square, Amherst for a public viewing and photo opportunity. It will arrive at Boston Common on Friday, Nov. 20th, under police escort, and will be decorated with thousands of LED lights. The tree-lighting ceremony on Boston Common, Thursday, Dec. 3, will feature a live musical performance by Pictou County artist Dave Gunning. The ceremony attracts about 30,000 people and is broadcast live on the ABC Boston television channel to an audience of about 300,000. “I’m always proud to represent my home province of Nova Scotia. And coincidentally it turns out that this year’s tree and I both grew up in Pictou County,” said Mr. Gunning. To learn more, go to novascotia.ca/TreeforBoston . Follow the tree’s journey on Twitter through @treeforBoston and “like” the tree on Facebook at www.facebook.com/treeforboston .
More venture capital will be available to technology startup companies in Nova Scotia and the rest of Atlantic Canada with the creation of two private-sector venture capital funds. “Having a vibrant technology sector is an important part of our economic future and building a stronger province,” said Business Minister Geoff MacLellan. “Making more venture capital available to startups at various stages of their development will give entrepreneurs the support they need to build great companies, and create jobs across this province.” Government will invest $15 million in a new venture capital fund to help later stage startups continue to grow. Build Ventures has been selected to manage the fund, on the condition it will attract other investors. The targeted size for the new fund is $50 to $75 million. Government will also invest $10 million in a new private-sector venture capital fund for early stage companies. This approach was recommended to government by the selection committee responsible for evaluating responses to Innovacorp’s 2016 request for fund management proposals to oversee $25 million in venture capital funding. “Build Ventures already plays an essential role in developing Nova Scotia’s venture capital ecosystem, and moving forward it will be able to continue to provide follow-on capital for the most promising startups in Atlantic Canada,” said Gilles Duruflé, a selection committee member and consultant for venture capital and private equity funds and governments across Canada. “To ensure Nova Scotia’s startup community continues to grow, it is also important to bring a new private-sector-managed fund to the region to support early stage companies.” The selection committee will continue its work to establish the two funds, including determining the process for choosing the second fund’s manager.