Restaurateur Oliver Peyton has spoken of his vision to have a bakery on every high street.The entrepreneur told the Daily Telegraph of his high hopes for his six-strong chain of Peyton and Byrne bakeries.Peyton told the newspaper: “My dream is to have one of these shops on every high street in Britain, but it’s one of those businesses where you have to learn it as you go along. We want to become the best in the world by expanding, bring more talent in and becoming more creative. I’m hoping, in the next couple of years, that the company can really start to fly. The future of the country is making companies like ours much bigger.” The company received funding of £6.25m from the Business Growth Fund (BGF) in December 2012, to help accelerate the company’s roll-out programme of high-street retail bakeries over the next four years and to facilitate new restaurant launches.The most recent addition to Peyton’s bakery chain opened in Greenwich, south-east London near to the Cutty Sark this July. It has its own bread oven, and bakes soda bread, sourdough and seven-seed loaves, fresh on site. The menu also includes muffins, Chelsea buns and sausage rolls.The ambition for expansion comes after the company withdrew its Brighton contracts with a number of Brighton and Hove museum cafés. Operation of the stores and tearooms will end at the Brighton Dome, Brighton Museum, the Royal Pavilion and Hove Museum over the next few months. This decision was made in order to concentrate on its core London activities.Janita Bagshawe, Brighton and Hove Council’s head of the Royal Pavilion, arts and museums said: “We are disappointed that Peyton and Byrne will be leaving at this stage, especially as they have invested considerably locally in existing and new outlets over the past 16 months. We are pleased to confirm, however, that Brighton Dome and Brighton Festival and the Royal Pavilion will continue working in partnership on a joint tender for event catering and daytime cafés.”
(BBC) – Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson has won the Football Writers’ Association Men’s Footballer-of-the-Year award.The 30-year-old midfielder, who led Liverpool to their first league title in 30 years this season, received more than a quarter of the votes.“As grateful as I am I don’t feel like I can accept this on my own,” he said.“I owe a lot to so many people but none more so than my current team-mates, who have been incredible and deserve this every bit as much as I do.”Liverpool team-mates Virgil van Dijk and Sadio Mane, Manchester City’s Kevin de Bruyne and Manchester United’s Marcus Rashford also finished in the top five.On Wednesday Henderson, who is recovering from a knee injury, received the Premier League trophy from Reds legend Sir Kenny Dalglish at a near-empty Anfield.Henderson added: “I accept (the award) on behalf of this whole squad, because without them I’m not in a position to be receiving this honour. These lads have made me a better player – a better leader and a better person.“If anything I hope those who voted for me did so partly to recognise the entire team’s contribution.”Henderson had also lifted the FIFA Club World Cup trophy for the first time in December.Off the pitch, Henderson has helped raise money for the NHS as part of the #PlayersTogether initiative.Arsenal and Netherlands striker Vivianne Miedema was named the Football Writers’ Association Women’s Footballer-of-the-Year earlier this month.
Imagining young rings forming recently has been an embarrassment since Voyager days. A new paper by ringmaster Larry Esposito (U of Colorado) found a way to stretch them out into billions of years. The Cassini press release describes clumpy material dividing and re-forming endlessly. Finding more mass in the B-ring also helped explain the brightness of the rings for longer times: there’s more ice to dilute the incoming pollution.“We have discovered that the rings probably were not created just yesterday in cosmic time, and in this scenario, it is not just luck that we are seeing planetary rings now,” said Esposito. “They probably were always around but continually changing, and they will be around for many billions of years.”It’s doubtful the Cassini crew will wait that long to find out. This story was picked up by PhysOrg, the BBC News, National Geographic and Space.com. On December 17, Astronomy Picture of the Day reported the claim alongside a dazzling picture of the rings.What did Esposito do, invent a perpetual motion machine? What did he do with gas drag, sputtering, micrometeoroid impacts, collisional spreading and sunlight pressure? These factors are not going to care whether fluffy clumps of ice can recycle themselves. Apparently the ringmaster is also a magician; he made these problems just disappear. When the paper comes out maybe we can find the secret pockets. For most viewers, distraction is usually an effective method. It’s not that this new model lacks evidential support; there does appear to be clumpiness, and mass estimates have been revised upward by Cassini. But it only accounts for more time for the B-ring, not the other rings which are more tenuous and even younger – including the rings of Jupiter, Uranus and Neptune. So the problem did not go away with this announcement, despite the celebrating by the science news yahoos who never heard an old age they didn’t like. What’s driving this urge for age? Simple: Charlie needs the time. That sets the paradigm throughout science. The ringmasters have been embarrassed for 23 years since Voyager forced them to consider the rings might be young. When a phenomenon doesn’t cooperate, it must be forced into conformity; second law of thermodynamics be damned.(Visited 12 times, 1 visits today)FacebookTwitterPinterestSave分享0
27 January 2011Ratings agency Standard & Poor’s has revised South Africa’s outlook from negative to stable, while also affirming its BBB+ long-term and A-2 short-term foreign currency sovereign credit ratings.The agency expects South Africa’s real gross domestic product (GDP) to increase by 3-4% per annum in the next few years, and believes the government is committed to reducing the general government deficit and containing general government debt accumulation – which is not expected to rise significantly higher than 40% of GDP.It also expects South Africa’s wider public-sector debt to reach 60% of GDP, while the stable outlook also reflects the view that the country faces significant structural challenges owing to high unemployment rates – currently at about 25%.“The affirmation of the foreign currency ratings reflects our view of South Africa’s moderate general government and external debt; external financing needs, owing to low national savings rates and current account deficits; and the government’s commitment to reducing the general government deficit and containing debt accumulation,” Standard & Poor’s credit analyst Christian Esters said in a statement this week.Rising public sector debt, low savingsAt the same time, the long-term local currency sovereign credit rating on South Africa was lowered to A from A+, and the short-term local currency sovereign credit rating affirmed at A-1, with a stable outlook. The country’s transfer and convertibility assessment is unchanged at A.According to Standard & Poor’s, the lowering of the local currency rating reflects a narrower gap between South Africa’s creditworthiness in terms of foreign and local currencies.“This is because we consider that South Africa’s fiscal flexibility has decreased, owing to rising public-sector debt, including non-financial public enterprises,” the agency said.Standard & Poor’s also considers that South Africa’s monetary flexibility is constrained by low domestic savings and the country’s dependence on external financing through volatile portfolio flows, which have led to an increasing stock of portfolio assets belonging to non-residents.External debt ‘to remain manageable’Standard & Poor’s adds that the funding needs of South African government-related entities are increasing, and the agency expects the public-sector borrowing requirement – including non-financial public enterprises – to reach 9.7% of GDP as of the fiscal year ending March 31, 2011.Although South Africa’s current account deficits remain financed by volatile portfolio flows – with current levels lower than those before 2009 – the agency expects the country’s external debt to remain manageable.The South African financial sector appears strong and relatively unaffected by the global turmoil, the agency says, adding that its capital markets are well developed, and that portfolio inflows are fuelled by the positive yield differential between South Africa and developed markets.“The outlook is stable, because we expect South Africa’s external balance sheet to remain manageable, despite volatile portfolio flows, with gross external debt at about 20% of GDP,” said Esters. “At the same time, we expect a moderate growth of wages and social welfare expenditure to support a gradual reduction of South Africa’s general government deficit over the next few years.”Future ratings outlookStandard & Poor’s says the ratings could be lowered if the pace of South Africa’s public-sector debt accumulation exceeds its current expectations, or if the increase in public sector debt is not offset by an improvement in investment and economic growth prospects.“We could also lower the ratings if risks associated with volatile portfolio flows lead to pressure on South Africa’s balance of payments,” the agency said.Although unlikely in the short to medium term, the ratings could be raised if South Africa’s dependence on portfolio flows to finance its current account deficit were to decrease substantially and its fiscal performance and debt levels improve significantly, supported by higher economic growth rates.SAinfo reporterWould you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo material
There was yet another major embarrassment after an under-construction footbridge on Barapulla Nalla elevated road collapsed on Tuesday. At least 26 people were seriously injured in the accident. An under-contruction footover bridge collapses near Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium.The incident took place near Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, the main venue for Commonwealth Games where opening and closing ceremonies are also scheduled. The injured have been rushed to AIIMS Trauma Centre. Many people were feared trapped under the debris. Rescue operation was on. Following the incident, the Games infrastructure has once again come under sharp focus. The Commonwealth Games (CWG) organising committee has been under severe attack for its lack of preparedness at the venues and Games Village. While the Commonwealth Games Federation CEO, Mike Hooper, on Tuesday clearly said that the Games Village was in a bad shape just a couple of days ahead of the athletes’ arrival, New Zealand CWG chef de mission Dave Currie went up to suggest that the Games could be called off.
SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion TS Kammuri to enter PAR possibly a day after SEA Games opening Is Luis Manzano planning to propose to Jessy Mendiola? Kings: Hield had five 3s in the third when Sacramento turned an 81-73 deficit into a 103-96 lead. … Marvin Bagley III is expected to resume basketball activities within the next 10-14 days. The second overall pick in the draft, Bagley has been out since Dec. 14 with a bruised bone in his left knee. … Iman Shumpert was held out with a sprained right index finger.UP NEXTWarriors: Host New York on Tuesday night.Kings: Host Orlando on Monday night.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Roger Federer, Angelique Kerber cautious on new Australian Open tie-break rule View comments LOOK: Joyce Pring goes public with engagement to Juancho Triviño LATEST STORIES Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Hotel management clarifies SEAG footballers’ kikiam breakfast issue SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. The teams exchanged 15-0 runs in the first half.Golden State made four consecutive 3-pointers, including a four-point play by Quinn Cook, and Durant soared through the key for an emphatic two-handed dunk that put the Warriors up 37-22 in the first quarter. The Kings made their surge in the second behind 3s.Sacramento trailed by 16, but pulled to 70-69 in the first half.TIP-INSWarriors: Durant needs two blocks to reach 900 for his career. … Golden State shot 8 of 11 beyond the arc in the first quarter. … Cook scored 10 points in 9 1/2 minutes off the bench.ADVERTISEMENT PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss MOST READ SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte Golden State Warriors guard Stephen Curry, left, drives against Sacramento Kings center Willie Cauley-Stein during the first quarter of an NBA basketball game, Saturday, Jan. 5, 2019, in Sacramento, Calif. (AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli)SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Stephen Curry scored 20 of his 42 points in the fourth quarter and had 10 3-pointers, and the Golden State Warriors held on to beat the Sacramento Kings 127-123 on Saturday night.Kevin Durant added 29 points, nine assists and five rebounds, and Klay Thompson scored 20 points to help the Warriors complete a three-game sweep of the season series. The three games were decided by a total of 10 points.ADVERTISEMENT Coming off a 135-134 overtime loss to Houston on Thursday night when they let a 20-point lead slip away, the Warriors blew another big lead in the third quarter before storming past the Kings over the final 12 minutes.Curry led the way with five of his 3s in the fourth, and had a pair of key three-point plays. Curry also closed out the quarter with a pair of free throws with 9.4 seconds left.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine football chiefSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionBuddy Hield scored 32 points on a career-high eight 3s for Sacramento. The Kings set a franchise record with 20 3s.Justin Jackson added a career-high 28 points, and Willie Cauley-Stein had 14 points and 13 rebounds.
APTN National NewsIn Winnipeg, the sixth annual Kookum walk wound its way through the streets of downtown Winnipeg.Hundreds joined in to share the Kookums message that Aboriginal children deserve to be safe.APTN National News reporter Meagan Fiddler has this story.
BUCHAREST, Romania — Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurz has suggested that foreign companies could pull out of Romania after the government unveiled a surprise plan to levy extra taxes on banks and energy companies.Kurz was visiting Romania Friday before it takes over the European Union’s rotating presidency on Jan. 1. He said Austrian companies could “take their things and leave,” adding the measures could lead to job losses and price hikes, or deter investors.The message will be embarrassing for Prime Minister Viorica Dancila as the country prepares to take over the presidency from Austria.Finance Minister Eugen Teodorovici on Tuesday presented measures to remedy a fiscal shortfall that risked exceeding the EU’s limit of 3 per cent of GDP.The Romanian stock exchange dipped to a 10-year low after taxes on energy and telecommunication companies were announced.The Associated Press