NewsLocal NewsLimerick homeless shelter reduces drug overdoses by more than a thirdBy Alan Jacques – September 4, 2014 904 Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival Previous articleMinister Noonan fit and well againNext articleRosbrien school benefits from Mongolian motorbike marathon Alan Jacqueshttp://www.limerickpost.ie Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live Facebook TAGSAlan JacqueshomelesslimerickMcGarry HouseNovas Initiatives Email Print RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR WhatsApp WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Vanishing Ireland podcast documenting interviews with people over 70’s, looking for volunteers to share their stories Linkedin Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live A LIMERICK-based homeless charity has reduced the incidence of overdose among its clients by 35 per cent in the last nine months.Novas Initiatives, the largest provider of homeless services in the Mid-West region, recently revealed in a research study the growing number of overdoses among its residents. In an 18-month period during 2012/2013, McGarry House experienced 34 overdoses — an average of one every two weeks.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Almost three quarters of the homeless people in temporary accommodation in the Alphonsus Street centre had overdosed on drugs — and most of them within the last year. Novas, along with its partners in the Mid-West region took immediate action to reduce the number of overdoses in its service by involving staff and residents, particularly those who had previously witnessed or experienced overdose.In response, a study entitled ‘Head Up: Preventing and Responding to Overdose in McGarry House’ was commissioned and 14 recommendations were developed, including the development of a peers skills and education programme.In the last nine months, due to such proactive steps, Novas has been successful in reducing the incidence of overdose in McGarry House by 35 per cent. Head of Novas’ homeless services, Anne Cronin commented, “This is still a work in progress as we strive to eliminate overdose altogether.”“Novas has shown that it is possible to reduce deaths by overdose by responding to the needs of those at risk and involving them in the process of response and rehabilitation,” she said.Novas is concurrently providing relevant staff training in the areas of harm reduction, safe injecting, defibrillator training and risk assessment. Complimentary training has also been provided to residents.Ireland has the highest level of reported problematic opioid use in the EU and the third highest death-rate of drug induced deaths. More drug-related deaths occur in Ireland each year than road accidents. And, according to Ms Cronin, people experiencing homelessness are particularly vulnerable to overdose.“We urge government to publish its much anticipated overdose prevention strategy and bring this issue to the forefront of political debate. Until the issue is addressed in a consorted and sustainable manner, needless deaths will continue to happen,” Ms Cronin concluded. Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” Twitter Advertisement
“He stayed in one hotel during his holiday,” Suarjaya said but refused to mention the name of the hotel.After the report came to the nation’s attention, a special team comprising officials from the Bali Health Agency and Denpasar Port Health Authority traced the places visited by the Japanese man during his time in Bali. The team also contacted the travel agency handling the man’s travels.“We are conducting epidemiology surveillance and health examinations on anyone who had direct contact with him in Bali,” said Suarjaya.The medical team will interview and physically check people who had direct contact with the Japanese tourist, including hotel and travel agency staff. Furthermore, staff that served the tourist in his room would be given special attention, the agency head said.He added that no one who encountered the Japanese patient had shown any symptoms so far, saying all of them were in good condition.Given the 14-day incubation period of the coronavirus, the team will monitor these people until March 4, 14 days after the Japanese man left Bali on Feb. 19. “If any of them show any symptoms, we will observe them at the hospital.”He added that a coronavirus test would be carried out on people who had direct contact with the Japanese tourist if necessary.“We may take samples from some people to be checked in the laboratory,” Suarjaya went on to say. “So far we’ve received no complaints from any hotel staff. I hope there will be none.”The hotel says it has disinfected the hotel rooms in which the Japanese family stayed, as well as rooms located next to them.Read also: ‘It is not COVID-19’: Indonesian health official mixes up disease and virusThe case is the second in which a patient has tested positive for COVID-19 following a visit to Indonesia. The first, a Chinese man identified as Jin, tested positive for the disease earlier this month, eight days after returning from Bali.Such cases have raised concerns about the country’s ability to detect carriers of the deadly virus.As of Tuesday, 28 people from Bali had been observed for showing symptoms of COVID-19. However, they tested negative.There have been no confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Indonesia to date. (kuk)Topics : Read also: Japanese man tests positive for COVID-19 after Indonesia visit: ReportThe man visited a health care institution on Feb. 12 after he developed “cold-like symptoms”, but returned home the same day because he was not diagnosed with pneumonia. He returned to work at the senior home on Feb. 13 but spent Feb. 14 at home.He had reportedly visited Indonesia from Feb. 15 and was hospitalized upon his return to Japan on Feb. 19 with severe difficulty breathing, and was said to be in “serious condition.” The NHK did not specify the man’s destination in Indonesia.Separately, the Tokyo Novel Coronavirus Infectious Disease Control Center of the Tokyo metropolitan government’s website confirmed that a Tokyo resident in his 60s had tested positive for the disease and that his symptoms appeared on Feb. 12. Health authorities in Bali are gathering information on a Japanese citizen who visited Indonesia shortly before he tested positive for the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and closely monitoring every person who had direct contact with the Japanese man.“We have started contact tracing. We found the hotel he stayed at during his visit to Bali,” Bali Health Agency head Ketut Suarjaya told The Jakarta Post on Tuesday.Japanese public broadcaster NHK previously reported that the Tokyo metropolitan government announced on Saturday that the man, a Tokyo resident in his 60s working as a staff member of a senior care facility, had been infected with the novel coronavirus.