WhatsApp Email Advertisement by Andrew [email protected] up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up THE Director of Public Prosecutions is to consider prosecuting a former director of the Irish League of Credit Unions, Limerick man Matt Heffernan, over loans he took out at a Credit Union in Cork.Following the wind up of the Castletownbere branch of the credit union, an internal report revealed that Mr Heffernan, who was previously involved in the running of Caherdavin Credit Union, had loans so large they were in breach of the law.The matter came to light in April of last year when the former director stepped down amid controversy and speculation. He had been nominated to the board the previous February and worked as a field officer monitoring the operations of the league’s branches throughout the south of Ireland.During the wind up process of the Credit Union in Castletownbere, it emerged that Mr Heffernan had loans valued at €350,000 linked to Bulgarian and Spanish holiday properties and the Irish League of Credit Unions has since notified Gardaí about the matter.The loans breached legislation of the Credit Union Act because of their size and Gardai have been informed that application forms for loans for Mr Heffernan contained incorrect personal information including different addresses and a different occupation.KPMG revealed that the loans obtained from Berehaven Credit Union by Mr Heffernan were not being repaid and that joint names were used. Some of those named were unaware of the loans. Print NewsDirector may be prosecutedBy Staff Reporter – August 20, 2014 1080 Twitter Linkedin Facebook Previous articleKileely households told not to drink tap waterNext articleDeath linked to suspected heroin overdose Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie
Batesville, In. — The Ripley County Purdue Extension will begin a “Strengthening Families” program for parents and youth from 10 to 14-years-old. The sessions will be held on Tuesdays from 5:30 to 8 p.m. beginning February 26 at the Southeastern Indiana YMCA in Batesville.The free program gives parents and children the tools to improve relationships and social skills.For more information please call 812-689-6511.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORERose Parade grand marshal Rita Moreno talks New Year’s Day outfit and ‘West Side Story’ remake “We thank our riders for their patience and forbearance,” said union local President Roger Toussaint. While the deal put the nation’s largest mass transit system back in operation, it did not resolve the underlying dispute – pension contributions were the main sticking point – meaning there could be another walkout if the negotiations fail. The strike cost the city untold millions in police overtime and lost business and productivity at the very height of the Christmas rush and forced millions of commuters, holiday shoppers and tourists to carpool, take taxis, ride bicycles or trudge through the freezing cold. But the strike did not cause the utter chaos that many had feared, and traffic in many parts of town was surprisingly light. “In the end, cooler heads prevailed,” Mayor Michael Bloomberg said. “We passed the test with flying colors. We did what we had to do to keep the city running, and running safely.” The walkout, which began early Tuesday, was New York’s first citywide transit strike in more than 25 years. The workers left their jobs in violation of a state law prohibiting public employees from striking. NEW YORK – Faced with mounting fines and the rising wrath of millions of commuters, the city transit union sent its members back to work without a new contract Thursday and ended a crippling, three-day strike that brought subways and buses to a standstill. Union members were told to return to their jobs starting with the evening shift. Buses were expected to be rolling again by evening. And most subways were expected to be running by today’s morning rush, just two days before Christmas. “I’m ecstatic that it’s over, but I’m still really mad that they did it,” said Jessica Cunningham, 21, who was in town for the holiday. “I really think it’s screwed up that they decided to strike the week before Christmas.” The breakthrough came after an all-night session with a mediator. Around midday, leaders of the 33,000-member Transport Workers Union overwhelmingly voted to return to work and resume negotiations with the transit authority on a new three-year contract. The return to work was announced just minutes before Toussaint and two of his top deputies were due in a Brooklyn courtroom to answer criminal contempt charges that could have landed them in jail. Earlier this week, state Justice Theodore Jones fined the union $1 million a day for striking. And under the state no-strike law, the rank-and-file members were automatically docked two days’ pay for each day they stayed off the job. “I’m ready to work the rush hour this afternoon if they let me,” bus driver Ralph Torres said from the picket line as the breakthrough was announced. The strike left bitter feelings across the city. “I think it was all for nothing,” said commuter Lauren Caramico, 22, of Brooklyn. “Now the poor people of the TWU are out six days’ pay, and nothing gained.” Gov. George Pataki warned there was no possibility of amnesty for the striking workers who were penalized financially. The fines “cannot be waived. They’re not going to be waived,” he said. Just before the deal was announced, an off-duty firefighter was critically injured when he was struck by a private bus while riding his bicycle to work. It was the first serious strike-related injury. A chief sticking point in the talks was a Metropolitan Transportation Authority proposal to require new hires to contribute 6 percent to their pensions, up from the current 2 percent for all employees. The pension proposal remained on the table despite the end of the walkout. The vote to return to work was blasted by TWU dissidents who felt the union had caved in. “This was a disgrace,” said the TWU’s vice president, John Mooney. “No details were provided to the executive board. (Toussaint) wants us to discuss the details after Christmas.” After workers returned to the job, the judge overseeing the dispute adjourned all further action in the case until Jan. 20. “I’m pleased on behalf of the people of the city of New York,” Jones said. “Hopefully, we’ll be able to salvage Christmas.”160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!