TAGSBallyhouraBallyhoura Failtefeaturedfull widthtourism Email Limerick Hoteliers urge Government to address tourism crisis WhatsApp Facebook Co Clare Entrepreneur has created a COVID-friendly tourism product to help Limerick companies attract staycationers NewsLocal News€20million tourism boost from BallyhouraBy Liam Togher – September 18, 2013 528 Advertisement No vaccines in Limerick yet Twitter AN independent visitor impact study released this week shows that Ballyhoura Fáilte generates €20million a year to the local economy.The study, which was completed by Limerick Institute of Technology in partnership with Ballyhoura Fáilte, also showed that the regions welcomes half a million tourists annually.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Fergal Somers, manager of Ballyhoura Fáilte, was understandably delighted with the results of the study, attributing the success to the diversity of tourism events it encompasses.He said: “This is very positive for tourism in the Ballyhoura region and shows that our promotion and product development of heritage, culture, festival and events, activity and adventure and working with all the local communities on a number of initiatives is clearly paying dividends.”Ballyhoura Fáilte has been selected by Fáilte Ireland as an adventure ambassador for Ireland and has represented the region and Ireland at a number of tourism events internationally.This weekend the Ballyhoura Mountain Bike Trails will host the European leg of the Blue Grass World Enduro Tour and will bring more than 350 bikers from across Europe to the local mountains.In 2014 the region will host the European Elite Marathon Championships and it will also welcome delegates from the Adventure World Summit. Linkedin RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Print Limerick Post Show | Mags Boland Murphy | Bofin Consultancy New Limerick Tourism Taskforce plans for development of sector Previous articleQuinny to tackle positive mental healthNext articleMEP to host cyberbullying forum in Limerick Liam Togherhttp://www.limerickpost.ieLiam joined the Limerick Post in December 2012, having previously worked in other local media organisations. He holds an MA in Journalism from the University of Limerick and is particularly interested in sports writing. Walk in Covid testing available in Limerick from Saturday 10th April
He ignored advice and guidance given to him on numerous visits by Agency officers. He told them he needed a few weeks to clear the site and would meet with them again. Crockwell had no previous waste experience but tried to compete with established businesses in the area.As well as the suspended prison sentence, magistrates ordered Crockwell to pay £5,592 costs.The site of Cambridge Skip Hire at Half Acre Site was first visited by Environment Agency investigating officers in August 2016. No-one was around so a letter was left asking the business to make contact, but it failed to do so and a stop letter was placed on the business.In November 2016 officers tracked down Crockwell, the company director, who reluctantly agreed to meet them at the site. Mr Bdesha told magistrates: More information on permitting waste activities.Crockwell pleaded guilty to:Between 31 December 2015 and 31 December 2016 on land known as Half Acre Site, Long Drove, Waterbeach, CB25 9LR, you operated a regulated facility, namely a waste operation for the deposit, storage and treatment of waste without being authorised by an environmental permit granted under Regulation 13 of the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2010.Contrary to Regulation 12 and 38(1)(a) Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2010. Mixed commercial and construction/demolition waste was illegally stored at a site in Waterbeach, Cambridgeshire, despite advice given by Environment Agency officers.Cambridge Magistrates’ Court heard that the site in Long Drove began as a skip hire site but soon became an unpermitted waste transfer station.Stop notices were twice placed on the business but Daniel Lee Crockwell, aged 35, of Milton Road, Cambridge, carried on operating.On 26 July 2018 Mr Gurjit Bdesha, prosecuting for the Environment Agency, told the court: Crockwell agreed to clear the site by 16 February 2017 but failed to do so and eventually the landowners took control of the site and cleared it themselves.Mr Bdesha said Crockwell had taken a risk in running the business illegally and had only ever held a waste carriers’ licence during the year of operating at Long Drove.He had eventually stopped taking in extra waste in November 2017 and closed down his website and disconnected the phones at the same time.Mr Bdesha said that before a waste transfer station could be operated at the site there would have had to have been improvements to the infrastructure to protect the environment. Planning and health and safety requirements would also have been needed.After the hearing, Environment Agency Enforcement Team Leader Phil Henderson said: Whilst the Environment Agency seeks to work with operators who co-operate and want to comply with the law, we will take action against those who don’t. Always make sure you are operating legally before embarking on a waste management activity or you are likely to get a visit from our enforcement officers.