IPL 2019 first month will be crucial for World Cup selection: BCCI officialA senior BCCI official has said the first month of IPL 2019 starting March 23 will be keenly followed by the selectors as they are expected to announce the squad for the World Cup around April 20.advertisement Indo-Asian News Service New DelhiMarch 19, 2019UPDATED: March 19, 2019 10:24 IST Ajinkya Rahane will be hoping to seal a spot in the World Cup squad with good performances in IPL 2019 (@ajinkyarahane88 Photo)HIGHLIGHTSVirat Kohli had earlier said IPL 2019 performances won’t influence selection for World CupConsidering the doubts around a few spots in the Indian team, the selectors are willing to consider IPL performancesIPL 2019 will kickstart with Chennai Super Kings taking on Royal Challengers Bangalore on March 23Going into the last ODI series before the upcoming World Cup — against Australia — India skipper Virat Kohli had said that Indian players’ performance in the IPL wouldn’t have any bearing with selection in the squad for the showpiece event. But with none of the batsmen managing to secure the No.4 slot post the five ODIs against the Aussies, the players’ performance in the IPL will have a bearing on the minds of the selectors when they pick the squad for the World Cup mid-April.The four primary contenders for the No.4 slot are Ajinkya Rahane, Ambati Rayudu, Shreyas Iyer and KL Rahul. And it all now boils down to a consistent showing in the first half of the cash-rich T20 league. A good run here and one of these four will be rewarded with a ticket to England.Speaking to IANS, a senior BCCI official said that recent performances have meant that the first month of the 12th edition of the IPL will have to be looked into when MSK Prasad and his team sit down to pick the squad for the World Cup.”With all the chopping and changing and experimentation and recent performances of the team, the No.4 slot is not yet sealed and if you ask me, a couple of other positions are also open since some players have not developed as well as one hoped over the last year. With the team selection slated for around April 20, the first month of the IPL will be crucial for the team selection for the World Cup,” the official said.advertisementTeam management looking at four batsmen for one slotEchoing the sentiments, a source in the team management said that there are technically four batsmen who will be fighting it out for the slot and a good IPL for one of them will definitely make that player a favourite to seal the position.”It was thought that the Australia series would help cement all spots for the World Cup. But that hasn’t happened and technically you now have four batsmen fighting for the No.4 slot. In fact, coach Ravi Shastri has even spoken of the option of having Kohli at 4, but that then depends on conditions and match situation. He won’t go into the tournament as India’s no.4,” the source told IANS.Rahane and Iyer confident of strong show in IPL 2019Interestingly, both Rahane and Iyer are ready for the challenge and feel that a good show in the IPL will definitely make them contenders for that No.4 spot that has had players coming in and going out without consistent success.”The approach won’t be any different with the World Cup spot looming because at the end you are playing cricket, be it the IPL or any other tournament. You have to score runs and do well for the team. The most important thing will be to think about the Rajasthan Royals rather than thinking too much about the road ahead. If I do well in the IPL, the World Cup (slot) will automatically come. I feel it is important to express yourself and not take any undue pressure thinking about things which aren’t in your control. The focus is the IPL,” Rahane told IANS.Iyer said that he too was confident of the selectors noticing a good show in the IPL.”In IPL, if I get a great start then it could really impact the selections. Selectors will be thinking twice about me. That’s what I am really looking forward to. But I have been doing well in all formats, not just IPL. So definitely this IPL they will be looking. Gagan Khoda spoke to me and said that I have been doing well and asked me to keep up the consistency,” he added.Also Read | IPL 2019: Virat not a shrewd captain, can’t compare him with Dhoni and Rohit, says GambhirAlso Read | Virat Kohli begins IPL 2019 preparations with Royal Challengers BangaloreAlso See:For sports news, updates, live scores and cricket fixtures, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for Sports news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted byAkshay Ramesh Tags :Follow IPL 2019Follow India national cricket teamFollow 2019 World CupFollow Ajinkya RahaneFollow KL RahulFollow shreyas iyer
New Delhi: The Ministry of Railways dismissed reports of the discontinuation of Garib Rath, touted to be the poor man’s AC train. “It is clarified that there is no proposal to discontinue Garib Rath Services on Indian Railways,” the ministry mentioned in an official statement.Reportedly, the train service initiated by the former rail minister Lalu Prasad Yadav, will either be completely phased out or be converted into mail or express trains. But the ministry claimed, “Owing to a temporary shortage of coaches on Northern Railway, two pairs of weekly trains of Garib Rath services namely, Train No. 12207/08 between Kathgodam and Jammu Tawi and Train No. 12209/10 between Kanpur and Kathgodam were temporarily operated as Express train services by Northern Railway.” Also Read – Encounter under way in Pulwama, militant killedReportedly, the rail ministry asked to stop making of new coaches for the trains. But it is also being clarified that the rail services in both the sectors will be restored from August, 4. By the Garib Rath rail service, passengers can travel in the AC coaches at a lower fare, cheaper than the normal AC-3 tier fares. Therefore, these are very popular services. Currently, there are 26 pairs of Garib Rath services operating on Indian Railways.
Government needs to act in wake of lacklustre job numbers say Tories, NDP by The Canadian Press Posted Aug 5, 2016 1:22 pm MDT Last Updated Aug 5, 2016 at 4:20 pm MDT AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email OTTAWA – Opposition parties are seizing on bad news on Canada’s employment front to urge the federal Liberal government to shift economic gears.Statistics Canada says the economy shed 31,200 net jobs in July, a decline that included the biggest one-month drop in full-time work in nearly five years. The national unemployment rate inched up to 6.9 per cent in July from 6.8 per cent in June.Conservatives and NDP members alike say the latest numbers have cast a pall over Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s prolonged political honeymoon and say it’s high time the Liberals took action.Conservative finance critic Lisa Raitt says the Trudeau government has failed to deliver the jobs it promised during the last election campaign.She says the government doesn’t have a back-up plan.The NDP, meanwhile, wants the government to bolster the employment insurance system and work to stimulate job growth.New Democrat finance critic Guy Caron says the government has to cut taxes for small business, a promise that fell by the wayside in the first Liberal budget.Raitt — said to be contemplating a run for the leadership of the federal Conservatives —cites a growing crisis of confidence as unemployment creeps up, along with bankruptcy numbers.“Canadians have no reason to trust the Liberal government when it comes to Canada’s economy,” she said.“The Liberal government claimed that if it borrowed tens of billions of dollars, it could grow the economy and create jobs. In reality, the Liberals have failed to deliver results for middle-class families and the Canadian taxpayer will be left to pay the bill.”For his part, Caron said there must be easier access to EI benefits.“In light of these significant job losses, creating a universal qualifying threshold of 360 hours and reinstating the extra five-weeks program for all seasonal workers is more critical than ever and would significantly help areas like Atlantic Canada.”NDP jobs critic Niki Ashton urged the government to fulfil a campaign promise to offer EI premium breaks to employers who hire young people. That pledge also didn’t make it into the spring budget.“The Liberals must immediately live up to their campaign promise to spur youth employment for millennials,” she said. “Young Canadians can’t wait for them to do yet more consultations.”Raitt said the Liberals promised that tax changes to help the middle class, an enhanced child-care benefit and promised infrastructure spending would spur the economy, but that hasn’t happened.“They should stop consulting and start making decisions.”