Azrou – Abdulsalam Sidiqi, the Moroccan Minister of Employment and Social Affairs, welcomed Dwight Bush, the U.S. Ambassador in Morocco on Thursday, at the headquarters of his ministry in Rabat.During their first meeting, both the Minister and the Ambassador praised the relationship between the Kingdom of Morocco and the United States of America. They reviewed the fields of cooperation between the two countries, and expressed the willingness of both sides to promote economic cooperation and trade.Sidiqi said that one of the main objectives of the Moroccan government is to promote the creation of job opportunities and fight against unemployment. He went on to say that his ministry is currently preparing a national strategy for employment that should be ready in October 2014. This strategy will primarily work on giving priority to sectors that create job opportunities.He also pointed out that the Ministry will organize a school day to assess the Labor Code in September 2014. The Ministry has prepared laws to compensate for job loss by employing domestic workers, promoting synergy, as well as launching a program for local development initiatives through regionalization and decentralization in the field of employment.On the other side, the American Ambassador praised the economic and social reforms carried out by the Moroccan government.He also emphasized the projects supported by the U.S. and the Ministry of Employment and Social Affairs in Morocco, which have a positive impact on youth and on the most vulnerable social groups.© Morocco World News. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, rewritten or redistributed
“The success of our humanitarian effort depends on having sufficient resources to provide assistance,” Johannes Van Der Klaauw said in a statement issued yesterday, following his visit last week to Sa’ada.He noted that the $1.6 billion humanitarian appeal for Yemen is only 18 per cent funded. “Significant donor contributions are needed immediately to alleviate the suffering of the girls, boys, women and men of Yemen,” he stressed. The ongoing conflict in Yemen has taken a heavy toll on civilians, more than 1,895 of whom have been killed by fighting since March. More than 15 million people have no access to basic healthcare, while half the population does not have enough food to feed their families, according to the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA). “The escalation of the conflict in Yemen has a devastating impact on civilian populations, as I witnessed in Sa’ada earlier this week,” said Mr. Van Der Klaauw, who reported that the violence has forced a large number of people to flee their homes, while civilian infrastructure has been destroyed by airstrikes and fighting.“Violence that directly impacts civilians and attacks on civilian infrastructure must stop,” he stressed. “I cannot overemphasize the importance of all parties protecting civilian lives and livelihoods. Civilian infrastructure must be spared from airstrikes and shelling; at the same time these facilities must not be used for military purposes.”It will be vital for the humanitarian community scale up its response to the “staggering” humanitarian needs across Yemen, he continued, citing the need for live-saving assistance in areas such as emergency shelter, food security, water and sanitation, medical care, nutrition and psycho-social support. Also critical is bringing children back to school and restoring livelihoods.